About the Research and Evaluation Department
The Research & Evaluation (R&E) Department of FHI 360 Global Education, Employment and Engagement (G3E) Business Unit provides technical leadership and technical support in the design and implementation of monitoring, evaluation, and research activities across the technical areas and projects in G3E. The R&E Department works with G3E technical teams to develop and implement a robust research agenda that advances FHI 360’s intellectual leadership in the field of international education and development, including early grade learning, post-primary education, youth and workforce development, civil society and peacebuilding, and economic participation. R&E fosters a continuous process of learning and evidence building across G3E with the goal of strengthening the technical quality of project implementation and improving project outcomes. It develops and maintains standards of quality for all aspects of research, monitoring, and evaluation, and ensures its own capability to uphold those standards.
The R&E Department also carries out independent research and evaluation projects in support of priority areas for the G3E research agenda, using its core operational funds and competitively won project contracts. As an integral part of G3E projects, the R&E Department supports strengthening the capacity of local and national counterparts in data use, data management, monitoring, and evaluation in the countries of G3E presence.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about data collection and data visualizations, and who has a knack for creating stories with data. We are a fun and collaborative team of data capture and utilization experts, nerd on cool graphics and are always looking to push ourselves to remain on the cutting-edge of innovation when it comes to data utilization in international development. We care deeply about systems strengthening and building local capacity. The successful candidate is someone who excels technically but also possesses strong interpersonal skills, a willingness to be a lifelong learner and is an effective communicator.
The Technical Officer for Data Capture and Utilization will work within the Research and Evaluation Department to support monitoring and evaluation of projects, and contribute to research studies. They will be an integral part of HQ-based project M&E support teams, and be involved in development of M&E and data collection plans, implementation of data collection efforts including programming data collection instruments for tablet use, data analysis and dashboard development to strengthen data utilization for continuous project improvement. A key quality of the Technical Officer will be their ability to translate M&E needs into efficient data collection systems, and a deep motivation to ensuring that data collected are utilized for adaptive management to the extent possible. Team spirit, collaboration, high quality standards and adaptability to changing situations are highly valued.
- Support G3E projects to define M&E plans and data collection needs, including indicator development
- Develop data collection instruments for paper-based and/or mobile data collection, ensuring that questions link back to key indicators
- Program and test data collection instruments for mobile data collection using programs such as Open Data Kit (ODK)
- Develop training materials and provide trainings to enumerators in the field, and monitor data collection progress
- Conduct data analysis
- Develop dashboard visualizations using platforms such as Power BI
- Participate in R&E meetings and research efforts as needed
- Contribute to developing robust data capture and utilization processes and to capacity building efforts for the entire R&E and field-based M&E teams
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and learning, communicating regularly on results and activities in assigned projects and fostering evidence building on common issues across projects within R&E and across FHI 360
- Contribute to the development of proposals in research and evaluation
- Bachelor’s Degree required and Master’s degree preferred in one of the following or related fields: International Development, International Affairs, International Education, Education Research and/or Policy, Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Information Technology
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in monitoring and evaluation, including at least 2 years working on international development projects
- Experience programming data collection instruments using ODK or other survey programming tool
- Skilled in data visualization tools; preferably with Microsoft Power BI
- Experience training enumerators in data collection desirable
- Experience with human-centered design desirable
- Quantitative research skills and proficiency in Stata, Python and/or R a plus
- Speaking and writing skills in Arabic, French and/or Spanish strongly preferred
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and to adapt to changing circumstances; collaborative team spirit and cultural sensitivity are a must
- Strong desire to learn;
Pay Equity and Benefits:
The expected hiring salary range for this role is listed below. FHI 360 pay ranges represent national averages that vary by geographic location. When determining an offer amount, FHI 360 factors in multiple considerations, including but not limited to: relevant years of experience and education possessed by the applicant, internal equity, business sector, and budget.
Base salary is only one component of our offer. FHI 360 contributes 12% of monthly base pay to a money purchase pension plan account. Additionally, all US based staff working full-time, which is calculated at 40 hours/week, receive 18 days of paid vacation per year, 12 sick days per year, and 11 holidays per year. Paid time off is reduced pro rata for employees working less than a full-time schedule.
Hiring Salary Range: $68,000 – $95,000
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
FHI 360 staff working in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, regardless of the type of project or client they serve, or of their employment status (full/part-time, remote, telework, or in-office), unless an accommodation applies. FHI 360 complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy. Full vaccination is currently defined as two weeks after the second dose in a two-dose series, such as the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Booster doses are not required at this time.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.