The NYC Finance trek is an opportunity for Amherst College sophomores to explore career opportunities in the financial services industry in New York City during interterm.
This small, selective group of students will spend 5+ days during interterm discovering the nuances and various career paths available in the financial services industry including Bulge Bracket, Middle Market, and boutique investment banks, asset management firms, hedge funds, private investing firms, and institutional investors. This is an experiential learning opportunity that replicates life in the financial services industry in NYC. Students will visit approximately 22 employers and network with 100+ alumni and be expected to maintain a fast-paced agenda filled with informational discussions, employer site visits, networking dinners and receptions. Each morning will begin with a 7am de-briefing and preparation session and some evenings will not finish up until 10pm or later.
Selected students for this trek will:
- Clarify career focus through greater understanding of the financial services industry and the myriad of opportunities and career paths available
- Increase marketability to employers through acquisition of industry knowledge including a holistic view of the industry and its components
- Make connections with employers, alumni and friends of the college
- Learn about the wide variety of internships, jobs, and careers in the finance industry
- Hone effective internship and job search skills, including networking and interviewing
- Gain exposure to the key trends, issues, challenges, and opportunities in the industry
Because of the generosity of our alumni, the Loeb Center, there is no cost to students other thanpersonal incidentals. The college will cover transportation, housing, and most meals.