Taxes and taxation from a Senior’s perspective/Declaración de impuestos desde la perspectiva de un estudiante de último año

For something so prevalent in each of our lives, it’s funny how little we actually know about taxes, how they work, or how to complete them. Not many schools dedicate classes to filing taxes (though I think they should), and we don’t all have parents or guardians who can help walk us through the complexities of each procedure. In other words, despite being necessary documents that we all must fill out each year, there are serious lapses in our knowledge when it comes to general taxation processes. We know what taxes are, but we aren’t taught how to navigate them, which can be a daunting experience to embark on one’s own.

I remember the first year that I filed my own taxes. I hadn’t made that much money, and the government had withheld a certain amount, so all I had to do was input a few numbers and sign on a couple of dotted lines. Relieved, I assumed that it would always be that easy. However, the following spring, I was employed as an independent contractor, which required a different form than the one I had grown accustomed to, and when the time came for me to file my taxes once again, I was suddenly at a loss. Everything was so unfamiliar to me, and I wasn’t even sure how to begin. Not only that, but I also owed the government way more money than I had originally expected. How could it possibly be so different than the time before? What had caused this change?

I’m not saying any of this to scare those of you who are just now learning to file your taxes nor am I trying to burden you all with unnecessary anecdotes. On the contrary, I really just wanted to come on here to share a little bit more about my own journey with taxes in order to emphasize the point that if you find them to be confusing or frustrating, you are not alone. So many people out there, including myself, can agree that filling out taxes is entirely overwhelming, especially when it’s your first time doing so. Without the proper guidance, it can be a tiresome and grueling experience.

The inspiration for this particular blog post originated back when I was figuring out how to navigate my own taxes as an independent contractor, about two years ago. I had no idea what I was doing, and I remember thinking how nice it would be to have a guide to the most common tax forms and what they required of me. Thus, below, I’ve created such a guide, which I hope you all will be able to use to your own benefit. Though it is not all-inclusive, it is a handy, “how-to” instruction manual for students, so please feel free to use it/share it around if it works for you!

The W-2 form…

The first—and most common—tax form is the W-2, or the Wage and Tax Statement. If you work for an employer, you will most likely be required to fill out one of these forms at the end of the fiscal year, which just reports your annual wages and the amount of taxes withheld from your paychecks. You will know that you are going to be receiving a W-2 form if your employer withholds money from you throughout the year. Most college students with jobs will have to fill out a W-2 form and nothing more. Here is a list of some types of positions where a person might have to complete a W-2:

  • Working in the Residential Engagement and Wellbeing Department as a Peer
  • Advocate for Sexual Respect
  • Being employed at the Multicultural Resource Center
  • Helping out in the dining hall
  • Being a note-taker in a class

For those of you who are curious, here is a link to the actual W-2 form.

The 1099 form…

Independent contractors are another type of employee and, as such, require a different type of tax form known as the 1099. The main difference between independent contractors (ICs) and other W-2 employees is that ICs do not have any taxes withheld from their paychecks, meaning that they have to pay back those to the government themselves at the end of the fiscal year—hence, the reason why I owed so much money two years ago when I was working as an independent contractor.

Being an IC and filling out the 1099 form does not necessarily have to be a big deal as long as you plan for your tax filings in advance. Fortunately, before starting a new job, your employer is bound to let you know whether or not you will be acting as an independent contractor, so you should always be able to plan ahead.

Once again, for those of you who are curious, here is a link to the actual 1099 form.

The 1099-MISC form…

While W-2 employees and independent contractors are the most common types of workers, there are still others (statutory employees/non-employees) that require yet another tax form, the 1099-MISC. Statutory employees/non-employees are defined as “a special type of worker whose wages are not subject to federal income tax withholding but are subject to FICA (Social Security and Medicare) and FUTA (unemployment) taxes.” In other words, they pay some of the same taxes as W-2 employees (Social Security, Medicare, and unemployment taxes) but not all of them (i.e. federal income taxes). Though it’s unlikely that a student will have a job that requires them to fill out the 1099-MISC form, it is not impossible. It’s best to ask your employer about this before starting a new job.

For those of you who are curious, here is a link to the actual 1099-MISC form.

Ultimately, the most common types of taxes that students may encounter will either be the W-2 or the 1099 form. (It is unlikely that college-aged individuals will be working as statutory employees/non-employees.) Since this is the case, it is important to be prepared for these types of tax filings before their deadline. Here are a few tips/tricks to do so…

W-2 form:

  • Go over your paychecks regularly. Ensure that money is being withheld and, if it is (as it should be), that it is the proper amount. Keep track of this number because that is also the money you should be receiving in tax withholdings toward the end of the year.
  • Just in case, save some money in your bank account each month in the off-chance that something goes wrong with your tax withholdings and you have to pay the government back yourself. This should not happen, but you can never be too careful.

1099 form:

  • Since independent contractors do not have any taxes taken out of their paychecks by their employers, it’s important that they complete that task on their own. (Remember, having no withholdings does not mean more money.) ICs should be setting aside an allotted amount each time they receive a paycheck that they will eventually pay back to the government. If they do this, they should not have a problem filing their taxes when the time rolls around.

These are just a few of the steps you can take to make sure that your taxes are paid on time and filed correctly at the end of the fiscal year. I hope they are helpful, and I wish you all the best of luck!

Editado por Marcela Murillo Robinson

Para algo que es tan prominente en nuestras vidas, es curioso cómo poco sabemos sobre los impuestos en realidad, cómo el proceso entero funciona, y cómo completarlos.  No hay muchas escuelas que enseñen a sus alumnos cómo hacer sus impuestos (aunque debería haber), y no todos tenemos padres o otros adultos que puedan ayudarnos con el proceso.  Es decir, a pesar de ser documentos necesarios que todo el mundo tiene que rellenar cada año, hay lapsos severos en nuestra comprensión con relación a los impuestos.  Sabemos lo que son, pero no estamos enseñando cómo navegarlos, lo cual puede ser una experiencia desalentadora para hacer solo.

Recuerdo el primer año que hice mis propios impuestos.  No había ganado tanto dinero, y el gobierno retuvo una cierta cantidad, así que la única cosa tuve que hacer fue ingresar algunos números y firmar en algunas líneas.  Aliviada, yo asumí que siempre sería tan fácil, y no presté mucha atención a mis impuestos el siguiente año.  Sin embargo, esa primavera, trabajé como una contratista independiente, lo cual requirió un formulario diferente que el uno con el que me había acostumbrado.  Cuando la hora llegó de hacer mis impuestos otra vez, de repente, estaba perdida.  Todo me sintió tan desconocido, y no estuve segura cómo podría comenzar.  No solo eso, sino también le debí al gobierno mucho más dinero que yo había anticipado originalmente.  ¿Cómo podría ser tan diferente que el año pasado?  ¿Por qué había este cambio?

No estoy diciendo esto para asustarlos a ustedes que están aprendiendo a hacer sus impuestos ahora ni quiero cargarles con anécdotas innecesarias.  Al contrario, solamente quería compartir un poco más sobre mi propio camino con los impuestos para enfatizar la idea de que si a usted le parecen confusos o frustrantes, no está solo.  Tantas personas en el mundo—como yo—están de acuerdo que hacer los impuestos es un proceso difícil, especialmente cuando es su primera vez.  Sin la guía suficiente, puede ser una experiencia agotadora.

La inspiración para esta entrada en el blog específica se originó cuando estaba aprendiendo cómo navegar mis propios impuestos como una contratista independiente, hace casi dos años.  No tenía ninguna idea de lo que estaba haciendo, y recuerdo pensar en cómo sería bueno tener una guía sobre los formularios más comunes para los impuestos y lo que requerían de mi.  Como resultado, más abajo, he hecho alguna guía, la cual espero que ustedes puedan utilizar para sus beneficios.  Aunque no incluye todo, es una guía útil para los estudiantes.  ¡Utilízala o compartanla si les funciona a ustedes!

El Formulario W-2

El primer, y el más común, formulario para los impuestos es la W-2, o Comprobante de salarios y retención de impuestos.  Si usted trabaja para un(a) empleador(a), probablemente necesitará rellenar algunos de estos formularios al fin del año fiscal, lo cual solamente informa su salario anualmente y la cantidad de impuestos retenidos de sus cheques de pago.  Sabrá que va a estar recibiendo una W-2 si su empleador(a) le retiene dinero durante el año.  Muchos de los estudiantes en la universidad rellenarán una W-2 y nada más.  Esta es una lista de algunas posiciones de trabajo donde una persona posiblemente tendrá que completar una W-2:

  • Trabajar en el Departamento de Bienestar y Participación como defensor(a) del respeto sexual
  • Trabajar en el Centro de Recursos Multiculturales
  • Ayudar en la cafetería
  • Ser un(a) tomador(a) de notas en clase

Para ustedes que tienen curiosidad, este es un enlace al formulario actual.

El formulario 1099

Los contratistas independientes son otro tipo de empleado y, tal como, requiere un formulario de impuestos diferente que se llama la 1099.  La diferencia principal entre los contratistas independientes (CIs) y otros empleados de la W-2 es que los CIs no tienen ningún impuesto retenido de sus cheques de pago, lo que significa que tienen que pagar estos impuestos al gobierno al fin del año fiscal—por eso, la razón por qué debí tanto dinero hace dos años cuando estaba trabajando como una contratista independiente.

Ser CI y completar la 1099 no tiene que ser un gran problema si usted prepara sus impuestos por adelantado. Afortunadamente, antes de comenzar un trabajo nuevo, su empleador está obligado a decirle si usted será contratista independiente, así que siempre debe poder a planear para el futuro.

Otra vez, para ustedes que tienen curiosidad, aquí es un enlace al formulario actual.

El formulario 1099-misc

Mientras los empleados de la W-2 y los contratistas independientes son el tipo de trabajadores más común, todavía hay otros (empleados estatutarios/no empleados) que requieren otro formulario de impuestos, la 1099-MISC.  Empleados estatutarios/no empleados son definidos como “un tipo de trabajador especial que no tiene salarios sujetos a la Retención federal de impuestos sobre la renta, pero están sujetos a los impuestos FICA (Seguridad Social y Medicare) y FUTA (desempleo).”  Es decir, pagan algunos de los mismos impuestos de los empleados de la W-2 (Seguridad Social, Medicare, y desempleo), pero no todos (la Retención federal de impuestos sobre la renta).  Aunque es poco probable que un(a) estudiante tenga un trabajo que requiere completar la 1099-MISC, no es imposible.  Es mejor si pregunta a su empleador sobre esto antes de empezar el nuevo puesto.

Para ustedes que tienen curiosidad, este es un enlace al formulario actual

Finalmente, los tipos de impuesto más comunes que los estudiantes se enfrentarán serán la W-2 o la 1099.  (No es probable que los estudiantes en la universidad estén trabajando como empleados estatutarios/no empleados.)  Dado eso, es importante que usted esté preparado para estos tipos de formularios antes de sus fechas límites. Estos son algunos consejos y trucos para hacerlo…

La W-2: 

  • Revise sus cheques de pago con regularidad.  Asegúrese de que se retenga el dinero y, si es así (como debe ser), que sea la cantidad adecuada.  Lleve un registro de este número porque es el dinero que debe estar recibiendo en retenciones de impuestos al fin del año también.
  • Por si acaso, guarde dinero en su cuenta del banco cada mes si algo malo ocurre con sus retenciones de impuestos y tiene que pagarle al gobierno.  Esto no debe pasar, pero es mejor estar preparado.

La 1099:

  • Ya que los contratistas los contratistas independientes no tienen ningún impuesto sacado de sus cheques de pago por sus empleadores, es importante que ellos mismos hagan la tarea. (Recuerda, tener no retenciones de impuestos no significa que se tiene más dinero.)  Los CIs debe estar guardando algún dinero cada vez recibe un cheque de pago que pagará al gobierno eventualmente.  Si hace esto, no debe tener ningún problema con hacer sus impuestos cuando tiene que hacerlos.

Estos son algunos de los pasos que puede tomar para asegurarse de que sus impuestos sean pagados a tiempo y hechos correctamente al final del año fiscal.  ¡Espero que sean útiles, y les deseo a todos la mejor de las suertes!

By Madeline Hahm
Madeline Hahm